Thursday, July 22, 2021

Timesaving Devices

"...if timesaving devices really saved time, there would be more time available to us now than ever before in history. But, strangely enough, we seem to have less time than even a few years ago. It's really great fun to go someplace where there are no timesaving devices because, when you do, you find you have lots of time. Elsewhere, you're too busy working to pay for machines to save you time so you won't have to work so hard.

The main issue with this great obsession with Saving Time is very simple: you can't save time. You can only spend it. But you can spend it wisely or foolishly."

The Tao of Pooh - Benjamin Hoff

This morning I wrote about my time saving machine the internet and the laptop marketplace that calls to me when I feel unmotivated.  Tonight as I was reading about being a Bisy Backson (see Pooh's way...or stick around because I struggle with this a lot) and it became clear.

I keep trying to find the easier way. The way that will make me feel better about the stuff that I'm not feeling good about.

The time spent looking for that feeling is just stalling. I use my timesaving device to shop on the internet...I rarely even buy stuff! I just look at exercise equipment that could help me with push ups when the thing that will really help me with push ups is doing some stinking push ups. But push ups are not what FEELS good right then. My problem is looking for information or equipment to help me with what I need to do. I can spend hours looking for just the right "thing" which I rarely ever actually purchase. It is just denial...avoidance of action. I'm looking for inspiration that will somehow make me excited about the sucky stuff. New timer? New work out clothes? New book about making push ups suck less??? Distractions. Only thing that will make push ups suck less is doing them. Too often I've not worked out or gotten the thing I'm not feeling like doing done because I ran out of time. Well...

"The Bisy Backson has practically no time at all, because he's too busy wasting it by trying to save it."

2 comments:

  1. This makes me think of times when people spend hours trying to do something on a computer such as pay bills online when the more efficient way may be to write a check and put a stamp on the envelope. Higher technology is not always the best answer, especially when it is an excuse to procrastinate on something important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above comment was John Moore (me). Still figuring this out without wasting too much time- ha ha.

      Delete

Kind to Others, Kind to Ourselves

 Practice extending compassion to yourself... just as you would to another person. Remind yourself that it's okay to take a break and ch...