Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Crybaby Hamstrings

Last week I missed a yoga class because my knee was bothering me. The "good" knee. A friend asked about my absence, here is my response:

 "It's ok...underachiever glute meds + control freak quads = confused IT and seriously pissed popliteus. Trying to get everyone under control."

I'm 2 weeks in with the physical training and my body is reacting. It is acting out. I know enough about the body to expect it- to RESPECT it. This morning as I was massaging out the kinks I thought about that post. I thought- "Yep, and those crybaby hamstrings." WOW. I am treating my body like a misbehaving child that is acting out in an expected way. I would never talk to another person that way and expect a positive outcome. My internal dialogue is not helping me heal. It is causing the "crybabies" to lose even more confidence in themselves. Sure, sometimes I need to hear that I need to toughen up. That's really different from shaming a negative behavior into hiding. I believe in discipline. I want my body to be strong and my muscles to work together at their best to support my efforts. I need to start with my thinking in order to get the best from myself physically.

This simple shift sat with me during my meditation. I felt my body unravel as I felt proud of the work it has put in. My joints opened and let energy flow through them, the muscles that felt the shame of my resentment started to release their grip. They have been shielding themselves, protecting themselves from my critical mind. I've got to honor my body. It is stronger than I believe. It is powerful and graceful. It is a miraculous creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind to Others, Kind to Ourselves

 Practice extending compassion to yourself... just as you would to another person. Remind yourself that it's okay to take a break and ch...